The Student News Site of Xaverian College

Xavazine

Xavazine

Xavazine

Welcome to SNO: A video introduction
March 14, 2022

April Joy M. Fajardo on her dreams, aspirations, family and school life

April Joy M. Fajardo is a 17 year old Filipino student at Paaralang Sekundarya ng Lucban Integrated School (PSL) and she is studying subjects such as physics, biology, chemistry, calculus, statistics, and earth science, which is part of her STEM course (science, technology, engineering and mathematics). I got the pleasure of interviewing her about her life in the Philippines, as well as her . Her responses the questions I asked her were incredibly thoughtful and inspiring:

What’s your favorite subject at school or college, and why?

My favorite subject at school is general biology because it allows me to explore the intricate world of living organisms. I am captivated by the complexity and diversity of life forms, and studying biology helps me understand how they function and interact with their environment. Additionally, learning about biological processes and systems has practical applications in fields such as medicine and environmental conservation, which brings thrilling adventure to having a curiosity about the mysteries of life and exploring the possibilities of improving human health.

What do you like most about your school or college? What would you like to change about it?

What I like most about my school or college is the sense of community and support that exists among the students and faculty. You don’t feel awkward around teachers because they will treat you as their student and friend, and you can chit-chat with them, make jokes, and seek advice beyond academics. It creates a positive learning environment where everyone feels encouraged to socialize, pursue their passions, and excel academically. However, if there was one thing I would like to change about it, it would be the availability of resources for certain departments or programs. It would be beneficial to have more funding and equipment allocated to these areas in order to enhance the overall educational experience for students interested in those fields. Our lack of rooms hinders the convenience of learning and limits the opportunities for hands-on practical experience due to the limitation of time. Additionally, it would be advantageous to have more study spaces and quiet areas on campus to accommodate students who prefer a serene environment for focused studying.

What’s your dream job?

My dream job is to become a biologist and work in a medical field or research laboratory.

What is the best thing about being a teenager in your country?

The best thing about being a teenager here in our country is being a teenager in this generation, where you can say what you want to say and express your opinion freely. It’s easy for us to break the invalidation that passes through the generations of time, stand for or believe in what we think is right for us, and be open about the situation in society. Since I’m a teenager, I can identify on my own what’s happening in my family, community, and nation, unlike if I’m just a kid and just live here and believe what older people say—that I know nothing. I think being a teenager at this time gives us an eye-opener on what life reality is; it gives us freedom to break a pervasive mentality and the opportunity to explore different beliefs and traditions without discrimination and open our views to a new frame of mind.

What languages do you speak?

I speak my native dialect fluently, our regional language, and I am also proficient in English and Tagalog. Here in the Philippines, we have 180 languages that can be spoken diversely that reflect our linguistic heritage, with variations in dialect, origin, innation, and intent.

What country would you like to visit, and why?

The country I would like to visit is mostly Spain because of its rich history, beautiful architecture, and vibrant culture. I am particularly interested in exploring the cities of Barcelona and Madrid, immersing myself in the art scene, and trying authentic Spanish cuisine. Additionally, I would love to visit famous landmarks such as the Sagrada Familia and the Prado Museum. But I want to visit every European country eventually.

What is your favorite food?

My favorite food is chicken because I love the taste of it and enjoy devouring different dishes that serve it as the main ingredient.

What’s your favorite TV show, and why?

Unfortunately, I don’t have favorite TV shows since I don’t watch television often due to my busy schedule. However, I do enjoy watching movies and documentaries in my free time, as they provide a great source of entertainment and knowledge.

Where is your quiet place that you go to relax?

The place that I go to relax is our home, specifically my room. It’s the most peaceful place for me since I’m the type of student whose daily routine only goes to school and back at home. I don’t go out with my friends, and I don’t go to parties or crowded places. Being in my room allows me to unwind, recharge, and have some alone time away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world. Additionally, I can indulge in my hobbies and interests without any distractions, making it the perfect quiet place for me to relax. Laying down on my bed replenishes my bothered mind and recharges my tired body.

If you could only take one thing on a desert island, what would you take?

If I could only take one thing on a desert island, I would choose a survival kit. Having essential tools and resources would greatly increase my chances of surviving and finding a way back to civilization.

If you could have dinner with any one celebrity, who would you choose?

If I could have dinner with any one celebrity, I would choose Taylor Swift because I admire her talent, success, and philanthropic efforts. She is not only a talented musician but also a strong advocate for various social causes, which I find inspiring. Having the opportunity to have a conversation with her over dinner would be a memorable and meaningful experience.

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

If I could have one superpower, it would be the ability to heal. So that I can heal myself and others, it’s not just simple healing; not only wounds or bruises can be healed. It would be healing for our different tribulations. It can heal physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual distress. Additionally, being able to heal would provide a sense of tranquility and peace, as we could escape stressful, acrimonous situations and find solace in the act of healing.