The Student News Site of Xaverian College

Xavazine

Xavazine

Xavazine

Welcome to SNO: A video introduction
March 14, 2022

Falafel Friday 22.3.24

Kyle Roczniak

Did you hear about the man who was pushed into a vat of chickpeas and tahini? It was a hummucide. And with that scintillating opener (with credit to Heddwyn Jones) we’re away, returning for another delicious slice of fine journalism. This week, we finally decided to swallow the pill and tackle the beast that has been casting a tall shadow over this humble column since its inception: Go Falafel.

As far as “fast food” chains go, Go Falafel is certainly up there. They’ve taken the falafel wrap and standardised it, made it marketable and spread the gospel. However, it is this standard that is going to owe to a greater level of scrutiny with this week’s review.

Right off the bat, the particular location we visited had an excellent proximity to college, closer than Lidl and Tesco and not having to warrant an arduous trek down the mile for some middle eastern comfort. However, once inside, the vibes didn’t deliver in the way that so many previous restaurants have, with no seating and very little floor space for so much as a queue which we Brits love ever so much. Equally, as we scanned the menu, the price unfortunately left us aghast at £4.75 for a medium wrap containing 3 pieces of falafel. In terms of menu options, Go Falafel is quite unique in its offerings of various juices and salads, so credit is certainly due.

Upon purchasing our wraps, it must be said that previous gripes with the price and vibes did seem to melt away. Containing freshly made falafel, to order, with a standard array of toppings wrapped in a warm naan it was precisely what was needed on a rainy afternoon. Each topping was evenly and deliciously proportioned to one another creating a balanced and sumptuous wrap. This also allowed for some of the best structural integrity we have seen yet which regular readers will know is a contentious topic. While the price may have been our highest yet, the quality delivered could be equally high.

A downside to our order was the portion size, but on reflection, perhaps a smaller portion is exactly what created such a balance of flavours and such good structural integrity. Perhaps our greed has got the better of us in previous weeks but isn’t that true of society…we may never know.

Overall, this was always going to be a big task. We are but two lowly falafel fanatics and going up against a long established chain was always going to test us. We really do hate to go all Gordon Ramsey with the criticisms, but such a high level of global distribution warrants a high level of scrutiny. While it must be said, this was a delicious week, the price unfortunately outweighs a lot of the positives. Frankly, times are tough and there does exist establishments who provide more for less and that must be mentioned.

FINAL SCORES:

Value – 3/5

Taste – 4/5

Portion size – 3/5

Structural integrity – 4/5

Proximity – 4/5

Vibes – 3/5

Overall – 3.5/5

View Comments (2)
Donate to Xavazine

Your donation will support the student journalists of Xaverian College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.