The Student News Site of Xaverian College

Xavazine

Xavazine

Xavazine

Welcome to SNO: A video introduction
March 14, 2022

Charmel De Lara who would choose telekinesis as her superpower

This is Charmel De Lara, a seventeen-year-old student studying various subjects of Introduction to Philosophy, Media Information and Literacy, Entrepreneurship, Practical Research 2, General Physics 1, General Chemistry 1, Health-Optimizing Physical Education, and Earth Science at Paaralang Sekundarya ng Lucban Integrated School in Lucban, Quezon in the Philippines. We have asked her a collection of questions about herself, her thoughts and her life.
What’s your favourite subject at school/college and why?
My favourite subject is General Chemistry 1 because it introduces us to a world of adventure. A learning adventure that is confusing, difficult, fun, and brings with it a mixture of irritations and pride because studying this subject takes time and needs actual dedication to learn. In addition, this subject is aligned with my dream course that I’ll be taking in college.
What do you like most about your school/college? 
At school, I like the organizations the most because of their ability to help students with issues. Through this, the school can create more of a foundation to have a community that can be considered as a second home.
If you could what would you like to change about your school?
Well, we can’t deny the fact that some teachers treat their students differently depending on their academic skills. Additionally, competitive students can put a lot of pressure on other students. I want this to change because we students are not all the same. We have our preferences, skills, abilities, and uniqueness. I want us to remember that at school it doesn’t need to always be a competition because I believe that school is supposed to be our home. I want all of us to consider and help each other so that we can have an environment that is warm and welcoming.
What is your dream job?
I have a lot of dream jobs, but this one thing is what I would like to happen: a job that is involved in the medical field. I want to be a Nurse and a General Surgeon.

What languages do you speak? If you could speak another language, what would it be and why?

I speak Tagalog and English but if I could speak another language, I think I would choose sign language because I have seen lots of people who struggle to communicate with another person who has a disability. Sign language can help to understand and help those people who are in need, as well as to protect and speak out for them. Some of us observably disrespect and belittle those who have trouble with speech or hearing. As I have said earlier, we are all unique to one another and this should be recognised.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be in Switzerland. Why? Except for the country’s astounding beauty, they are known for their safety, stability, work opportunities, educational systems, etc. To be honest, Switzerland has been my dream country to live in since I was a child and I would want my family to be there with me.

What is your favourite food?

Oh no! This question is kind of hard for me. What is my favourite food?! I have lots of favourites in terms of food. But I think “pork sinigang” stands out among all of them. I do love “pork sinigang,” it is a Filipino dish that is full of tamarind-flavoured broth. As I think of it, I am drooling!

What’s your favourite TV show and why?

Grey’s Anatomy is my favourite TV show because of its story that revolves around the medical field and the lives of its doctors. It is not just about saving other people’s lives, but it is also about the decisions they make as doctors. The decisions could affect both the doctor’s and the patient’s life, as well as the hard work and dedication required of them to work in that field.

Where is your quiet place that you go to relax?

I love going to the beach because of its calming ambience. You know, the warmth of the sun on your skin, the whistling wind, the trees dancing, and ,of course, the billowing in the sea. These can help me to reset after an exhausting day, to do things without staying on screen for hours, and to have time for myself.

What is your favourite book and why?
My favourite book is “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” because it made me realize that I don’t have to be pressured to figure myself out right now, that making mistakes does not make me a bad person, and that I must learn to understand and balance my emotions as they can hurt the people around me. As a teenager, I am afraid of making mistakes, which I know is okay because it is a part of our journey. I am scared of losing someone whom I cherish so much. I am scared that growing up could lead to leaving or being left by someone. I am scared to take opportunities because I doubt myself , but this series has taught me things that I can relate to.
If you could only take one thing on a desert island what would you take?
I think I would take a survival knife because it would be useful for different tasks such as cutting, building shelters, and preparing foods that can help me survive on a desert island.

If you could have dinner with any one celebrity, who would you choose?

I would choose Jackie Chan because he has been my idol ever since I was a child. I grew up watching his films and behind the scenes of him doing dangerous things, as well as being injured during the sets. As I remember Jackie Chan said “Set a goal and continue to do what you believe in,” and this quote inspired me as I grew up.

If you could have one superpower what would it be?

If I had one superpower, I would choose telekinesis to have the ability to move objects with my mind that I could use in various situations such as rescue operations and situations where I need to defend myself.