The Student News Site of Xaverian College

Xavazine

Xavazine

Xavazine

Welcome to SNO: A video introduction
March 14, 2022

Phenomenally unhinged, Personal Trainer bring fun in abundance to The Deaf Institute

Han Lake
Personal Trainer, The Deaf Institute, 4/11/23

About 20 minutes away from our college, just off Oxford Road, there resides a venue called The Deaf Institute. You’d be forgiven for not knowing about it – few weeks have passed since I realised where it was actually located, despite having spent nearly a year at Xaverian – it’s quite the hidden building. Were it not for the fluorescent lighting and flocks of concertgoers outside, I’d have walked past, quickly appreciated its stunningly ornate exterior, before leaving to find my true destination.

But, no! The Deaf Institute, a historic structure that once served as a sanctuary for the city’s deaf and speech-impaired community and now houses gigs, entertainment, a bar and a kitchen, was exactly where I was headed. Inside the centuries-old venue, its unique and oddly charming aesthetic soon becomes apparent. Imagine intricate wallpaper and a stage fit for a 19th-century period drama converging with a great, glistening mirror ball reflecting a rainbow of colour. (I could go on a bit about how this duality would make a good metaphor for how the past feeds into the present but…you’re probably wanting to know about the bands I saw here…understandable, really!)

I hadn’t a clue that there was a support act for this concert at all, let alone who they were, to be honest with you. Regardless, I got to the venue in time to witness Blue Bendy – said support – perform, and I was glad I did. A post-punk quintet with energy in abundance, their songs brimmed with discordance and jazzy progressions; the latter element fuelled by the drummer’s time signature manipulations. The band themselves also appeared to be immersed in their music, dancing jauntily while playing their instruments or, in the singer’s case, delivering each track’s intricate lyrics.

Which brings us to a minor bump in the road: I couldn’t really make out what was being sung. Not necessarily the fault of Blue Bendy – the sound at the venue was quite loud – but not the best situation for a band whose lyricism seems crucial to their appeal to be in. Due to this, I was left feeling intrigued, if not enthralled, by their performance. Let’s just say, I hope to find out what it was they tried to relay to us via the good old green giant, Spotify.

By the time the support had concluded their set with a “big up,” the room was at capacity. So, then…what’s a Dutch band by the name of Personal Trainer got in their locker to pack out a decently sized venue of the likes of The Deaf Institute? Well, I can let you in on but one of their unique selling points: a megaphone was enlisted as a musical instrument several times during the show. That is to say, they were a little bit…how do I put this… Insane! That’s the word. Phenomenally unhinged. Off the wall. Unpredictable. (Insert more synonyms here to further illustrate the fact that I was not anticipating to be blown away so strongly by this seven-piece.)

Hailing from Amsterdam, Personal Trainer have been crafting eccentric and jubilant music since the late 2010s and released their debut album, Big Love Blanket, in 2022; with the day of the concert coinciding with the record’s 1 year anniversary. This could explain the rather raucous behaviour they exhibited tonight (that, or they’re just crackers at every gig) which took the form of shirts coming off, speakers and seats being mounted unannounced, wearing each other’s shirts, swapping instruments on impulse, relinquishing the megaphone repeatedly for musical purposes…all happening on a stage that could barely fit 5, let alone 7, performers.

These highly entertaining antics of the night aside, Personal Trainer were – and the pun is well and truly intended – on top form. Rattling through the variety of tracks that comprise their debut, lead singer Willem Smit and co. had the audience under their spell for the hour and a bit the set lasted. Listening to the recording of Big Love Blanket, the enthusiasm and electric chemistry of the band is palpable from the first tune to the very last. Performing their songs live, however…Personal Trainer knock it out of the park.

Take their rendition of the title track, whose opening notes elicit a wave of cheers and the opening of camera apps: all 7 members sing the song’s rallying lyrics in unison, inviting the crowd to do the same, while the instrumentation rises to a crescendo. There was also the bombastic ‘Key of Ego’ and ‘Former Puppy,’ two bangers boasting infectious melodies and hooks that both the band and their fans had a blast dancing to.

A personal favourite moment of mine was ‘Milk,’ which let Personal Trainer’s masterful control over dynamics take centre stage. A song that bounces from bubbly keyboard chords to staccato guitar strums atop which Smit’s bandmates chant the fantastic refrain, ‘I drink straight from the carton,’ this track in particular highlighted the carefree sense of fun that underpinned the group’s entire performance.

In all facets of the spectacle they put on – their musical ability, stage presence, general madness – this talented collective of singers, guitarists, keyboardists, trumpeters, drummers, megaphone players…are a must-watch live act. Should they return to Manchester (and, if the overwhelmingly positive response they received at The Deaf Institute is anything to go by, I’m sure they will)), I couldn’t recommend seeing Personal Trainer enough. A word of warning if you do, though: don’t be alarmed if they start shedding shirts or swapping roles. They’re just…quirky like that!